Tuesday, August 28, 2012

"I Should Do The Coupon Thing, But...": Part 2, Coupons Can Be Like Cash

So if you've been wondering if you can really get into couponing as a way to help save some money, the answer is "Yep". This week I'm sharing some of what I've learned over the last few years, and the things that encourage me to stick with couponing (as I get back into it after taking a six month break!).

Yesterday I shared that the first thing is to START SMALL. Look at your own budget, your personal values, and start small by setting a goal or two (like trying to save 15% or $5 on your weekly grocery shopping trips). I know I sometimes fall into the trap of comparing myself to others and the deals they find or the money they are saving... So don't compare yourself to others, make choices for you (and your family)! Whatever you decide WILL make a difference in your financial life!

The second thing you can do is to think of coupons like cash. Imagine walking into your local grocery store and standing there at the entrance was an employee handing out $20 bills to every customer that walked inside. Would you take it? Absolutely.

When you start using coupons, you will be walking out of the store with more cash in your pocket (or in your bank account if you use a debit card or credit card) than you did previously. Because you handed the cashier coupons instead of your own personal money. I LOVE the feeling of seeing my total before coupons, then watching it drop dollar by dollar. Ahhh. Satisfaction. 

Here are a few ways that I "use coupons like cash":
   - I clip coupons for things I buy on a regular basis (like yogurt and cereal).
   - I print coupons at home on my printer from sites like www.coupons.com
   - If I have something on my shopping list I don't have a coupon for, I can look that item up on a coupon database (like at Frugal Girls or Money Saving Mom) to see if there is one
   - I don't buy something just because I have a coupon for it... Then I'm still spending money, not saving it!

If you want to see an example of buying everyday grocery & household items with coupons, check out my recent shopping trip here.

Stay tuned for Part 3 tomorrow...





No comments:

Post a Comment