Wednesday, February 15, 2012

"Re-Purposing": A T-Shirt into a Kitchen Dish Rag

You know how I mentioned that I want to start tackling the clutter around my house and either re-purposing it or getting rid of it? I love to crochet, so at long last I have gotten around to trying out some ideas I've seen on Pinterest. One idea I've wanted to try was cutting t-shirts into "yarn" and crocheting them into different things. I had several men's undershirts that needed to be thrown out, and I need some new dish rags, so I tried my hand at it this weekend. And I loved the results. Two undershirts has produced four nicely textured rags for me to wipe up messes in my kitchen (or off my toddler...). Here's what I did:

Supplies:
- One old shirt (I used a ribbed undershirt)
- Sewing scissors (or any sharp scissors)
- Large crochet hook (I used a size K)

Making the "Yarn": (20 minutes, but time may vary)
- Start cutting at the bottom. If there is a bulky seam/hem, cut it off.
- I cut the "yarn" about 1/4" wide... With this material, I wouldn't go any skinnier. You can experiment and make it thicker if you want.
- Continue cutting around and around to keep the "yarn" continuous.
- When you get up under the armpits, you can decide if you want to stop there, or use the front & back, too. If you do, cut it like a "z" so it's still continuous.
- Roll your "yarn" into a ball.

Crocheting the Dish Rag (appr. 8"x8" for mine, about 20-30 minutes):
Row 1: Chain(ch) 19.
Row 2: Turn and single crochet(sc) in the 2nd chain from hook, all the way across (18 stitches total). Ch 3 and turn.
Row 3: Double crochet (dc) in second stitch from hook all the way across (18 stitches total when you count the first  ch. 3 as a dc). Ch 1 and turn.
Row 4: Sc in 1st stitch from hook, all the way across (again, your total should be 18... I keep counting when I crochet so I make sure I don't lose a stitch along the way and then have intended square become a fan-shape). Chain 3 and turn.
Rows 5-14: Repeat rows 3 & 4. Cut your yarn about 2" and tie off, then weave the dishcloth into some of your stitches. (one shirt made two washclothes for me)

If you used a shirt that is 100% cotton and white, you should have no problems bleaching it! And it won't scratch your pots & pans, and should provide some great texture for those stubborn spots of dried food on the counters!

Enjoy! If you have any questions, just let me know, and I will try to get back with you as soon as possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment