Friday, March 18, 2011

Book Review: "The Bridge of Peace"

The Bridge of Peace (Ada's House, Book 2)


As I started the book "Bridge of Peace" by Cindy Woodsmall, I expected a typical slow-paced novel about life in Amish country, with a few lazy twists & turns, a little conflict, a little romance... I quickly discovered this book was going to keep me on my toes, and I rarely wanted to put it down. The characters were very real, struggling through real life battles, or celebrating life victories. Once again I accidentally ordered a "book two" without realizing it, but that didn't matter much and I never really felt lost.

The author Cindy Woodsmall steps away from the usual Amish book, and instead of just introducing Amish life, actually invites the reader to step into Amish living for a short time. She exposes the reader to everything from the struggle of adjusting from the "English" to "Plain" life, heart struggles within the Amish about the strictness of the various bishops, to normal heart desires for marriage, quality relationships, family connections, etc... I was quickly caught up with the various characters, and could sympathize with them as they wrestled with decisions/actions, made mistakes, and learned lessons. The people were real.

I definitely recommend this book!


* Disclosure: "I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review, as part of their "Blogging for Books" program."

No comments:

Post a Comment