Thursday, September 8, 2011

Freezer Cooking in an Hour: Started Out Small & Simple

60 minutes. One hour. That's all the time I set aside this afternoon to prepare a few new things for my freezer. I decided to stick with small & simple. I chose three things:

1. Frozen Banana Bites*
2. Breakfast Egg Sandwiches*
3. Homemade "Uncrustables"* (PB&J sandwiches)

The ingredients for all three of these things I already had on hand, which meant I didn't need to make a grocery store run. I did make a list of other recipes to try this coming week and what supplies I will need for those... I used the "fancy" printable planning pages from Money Saving Mom. Such simple ideas and instructions there, so I'm not going to re-create or battle through something!

I made my "prep" list of things I was going to tackle, step-by-step:
(no, the handwriting at the top isn't mine, it's the printable I told you about...) The session went good, but had a few hiccups, of course!

I preheated the oven, sprayed my muffin tin (I used my Texas-size muffin tin instead of a regular, but either works) Then I put the eggs in... notice the size difference in yolk? The eggs from Aldi's were way bigger than the Walmart eggs!
While the eggs were baking, I started the bananas. Of course the Pyrex cup I wanted to use was dirty, so I had to wash that. Then the chocolate I thought I had I couldn't find, but I finally found some. Then the measuring cup for the peanut butter was dirty, too (I have done a lot of cooking this week!). But finally things were underway!
Halfway through the banana dipping process, I realized I hadn't taken the english muffins out of the freezer to thaw out. So I grabbed those and thawed them in the microwave. Then put them on the cookie sheet to get toasted in the oven. The eggs took a few minutes longer to cook, since I wanted to make sure they were cooked all the way through and no egg yolk was runny. I finished dipping the bananas and put them in the freezer.
Then I put the egg breakfast sandwiches together. (don't those look delicious?)
Because of those small delays, by now I only had 10 minutes left of my hour, so I decided to scratch the "uncrustables" off my list, and tidy up my kitchen instead. The best part? I had already thrown together supper in my crockpot this morning, so I wasn't going to have to come back to the kitchen to cook later! I tried another recipe recommended on the Money Saving Mom website called "Taco Chicken Bowl"*. It was REALLY easy, and my husband approved tonight when he ate it for supper!

* I provided the direct links to the recipes recommended on Money Saving Mom, because while her site is where I saw the idea, she gave all recipe credit to the original sources of where she found the recipes. So these are the links to the recipes I found on Money Saving Mom website, and I'm referring y'all directly to the original recipe blogs as well!








No comments:

Post a Comment