Thursday, September 8, 2011

My New Adventure: "Freezer Cooking in an Hour"

I love good homemade food. I like feeding my husband and son good, healthy food. I do not like cooking all day every day. I like simple, quickly prepared meals that taste wonderful... Growing up in the country, we used a deep freezer on a regular basis because we couldn't just "drive to the store" real quick. When my husband and I got married, I started freezing extra meat, leftovers, etc... to help save money and diversify our meals (cooking for just two is difficult!). After I started my couponing/deal-finding adventure a year ago, I immediately decided we should start saving for a stand-up deep freezer so I could really start doing more freezer cooking. We paid cash for our wonderful deep freezer last fall, and I have used it quite a bit, but never to it's full capacity.

I am now 30 weeks pregnant and am ready to start stocking up that wonderful freezer with breakfast foods, snacks, already put-together meals, and more. Except since I am in my 3rd trimester, and chasing a 19m old boy, my energy levels are lagging... Money Saving Mom (one of my top three favorite bloggers) introduced me to the idea of "Freezer Cooking in an Hour", and it's finally time for me to start tackling this project! "Freezer Cooking in an Hour" basically challenges us to all set aside one hour a week (or a couple times a week) to prepare/cook a few recipes in bulk. I will probably be doing it a couple times a week since I have a special goal in November, but for some of you, once a week would be what works for you.

Money Saving Mom has some great worksheets to print off (for grocery lists & planning the hour), and shares  once a week what she has been up to during her "Freezer Cooking in an Hour" session. I am totally going to start off by trying out the recipes she shares, and make this new adventure the least difficult on myself that I can! (why reinvent the wheel, right?) Seeing what others try, seeing pictures, price cost, etc... all help my out when I'm deciding the new things I should try. So I will share my experiences with it, but most of the links will be for the ideas & recipes over at Money Saving Mom (or where she got the recipe).

Here's to a new budgeting adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment