Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Freezer Cooking: Pancakes & Homemade "Uncrustables"

My mom got to visit me for the weekend, so I didn't do any freezer cooking the last several days. Today I decided to donate another hour to this new adventure. I chose to cook lots of pancakes & make homemade "uncrustables". And guess what? I really did finish this in an hour... but it was in two 30 minute segments today to allow for time with my toddler. And I also opted for a nap instead of completely cleaning up my kitchen, since Levi was napping. The 3rd trimester pregnancy fatigue definitely comes in waves!

I made a quadruple batch of pancakes: 2 batches of "silver dollar" pancakes, and 2 batches of "large" pancakes. I used the basic Bisquick pancake recipe (x4):

- 2 cups of Bisquick
- 1 cup of milk
- 2 eggs

I buttered the pancakes while they were still warm, then let them cool. I layered them in gallon size freezer bags, with wax paper in between each layer to help them not stick to each other so much. They just have to microwaved for 30 seconds when ready to eat! (and Levi & I might have taste-tested a few in the process...)

Then I made homemade "uncrustables", but I didn't cut them round. I just slightly trimmed off the crust for fun and left them square. As suggested in the recipe, I put peanut butter on both pieces of bread so the jelly wouldn't make the bread as soggy. I tried to crimp the edges with a fork (since I don't have a fancy "sandwich maker"), but it was not wanting to look nice, so I decided my two "men" (hubby & son) wouldn't care if the edges would crimped! I individually wrapped them in baggies, then put them all in a gallon freezer bag. Now those will make quick snacks or lunches!

Have any of you done some freezer cooking? How is it going? Here are some of my other experiences with freezer cooking in an hour:


Why I decided to jump on the "Freezer Cooking in an Hour" Bandwagon
Starting Small & Simple: Banana Bites & Breakfast Egg Sandwiches
Freezer Cooking: Chicken Stuffing Casseroles

Check out other great freezer cooking ideas over at Money Saving Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment